Galactic Hitchhiking Tools
Inspired by The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, we would love you to create some memorable and useful items to assist you in your trek across the Milky Way (so some other galaxy of your choice). We would like you to create one of three items:
- A Babel Fish – Described as small, yellow, and leech-like, a babel fish is an alien fish that feeds on brain waves and can instantly translate any language to the user once the user shoves the fish into their ear.
- An Electronic Thumb – A device used to flag down passing ships to ask for a ride, preferably somewhere far away from the planet you are standing upon, should said planet be about to be destroyed.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – A book which contains the standard repository for all knowledge and wisdom, which might be useful if you are seeking to, say, escape a planet which is about to be destroyed. Though it cannot hope to be useful or informative on all matters, it does make the reassuring claim that where it is inaccurate, it is at least definitively inaccurate.
Your prop will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality: We’re looking for a unique item, not something copied from a film adaptation. Make it your own!
- Construction: It should be so well-made that a galactic traveler might pick it up by accident in bar after a few drinks, mistaking it for their own.
- Backstory: Is your device a copy of the original? An upgrade? A prototype? A revised edition? Please tell us something interesting or unique about your item.
The contest is open to all convention attendees. There will be prizes for the top three finishers (not necessarily one in each category), and all contestants will have reserved seating during the masquerade. Go to it, and good luck!