Midwinter Masque Prop Contest
In celebration of The Longest Night, the major holiday in Jacqueline Carey’s novels of Terre d’Ange, we would love for you to create one of two items for the celebration to honor the Winter Queen, the Sun Prince, and the members of their court:
- A mask, as the Longest night is celebrated by the Midwinter Masque, or
- A spear, by which the Sun Prince transforms the Winter Queen at the hour of the sun’s return at the Masque.
Your prop will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality: We’re looking for a unique item, not something copied from a film adaptation. Make it your own!
- Construction: It should be so well-made it will survive a night of revelry and a glass or three of Joie.
- Backstory: What is your costume/role for the masque ball? And how does your prop show or compliment your role?
Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Best of Show (workmanship)
- Best Use of Convention Theme — “The Longest Night”
- Judges’ Favorite
- Best Novice (to be eligible for this award, you must be a first time participant in the Prop Contest)
- People’s Choice Award
No preregistration is required. Entries can be submitted at the judging session on Saturday in Cascade 5 & 6 from 11 a.m. until noon.
Along with your entry, please provide a short description of your prop, its inspiration, and any special techniques or materials used.
The People’s Choice Award will be decided and all winners will be announced at the Show and Share on Saturday in Cascade 5 & 6 from 1 p.m. until 2 p.m.
Awards will be presented during the Masquerade half-time.
The contest is open to all convention attendees. There will be prizes for the top three finishers (not necessarily one in each category), and all contestants will have reserved seating during the Masquerade. Go to it, and good luck!