We’ve been keeping an eye out to see what all of you lovely people have been saying about Norwescon 39 since we wrapped things up — here’s a rundown of what we’ve found so far. If you know of something we missed, feel free to let us know in the comments!
- Lee French: @Norwescon is Awesome: “This past weekend, Clockwork Dragon appeared at Norwescon. We had a great time. Thank you to everyone who stopped by and chatted, whether you bought a book or not.”
- Brianna Tibetts: NorWesCon 39: “Over this past weekend, I attended my second NorWesCon. It’s an annual science fiction and fantasy convention in SeaTac, WA. I attended last year for the first time, and found it to be rewarding enough I wanted to come back this year. I’m really glad I did. For as much as I learned last year, I really felt like it was preparation to be able to fully appreciate this year.”
- Caroline Yoachim: NORWESCON WRAP-UP: “But the best part of cons, in my opinion, is hanging out with people. I met a bunch of people that I formerly only knew online, and got to hang out with some old friends, too. I’m not going to name drop because I inevitably forget someone, but the whole weekend was a blast.”
- Dara Korra’ti: i took so many notes: “And I have to say, Norwescon as purely an attending professional and congoer is a completely different experience. Goddamn, there is a lot to do at Norwescon, and knowing that on paper and trying to get to it are completely different things. I missed some great events – I didn’t get a chance to play Artemis, I didn’t get to Death*Star’s party-wing show, I didn’t get to Kadesh Flow’s Grand 3 show – so much missed! But there was just too much to hope to make it all.”
- Eric Scott de Bie: Norwescon 2016 Highlights: “My favorite panel of Saturday–and of the con entirely–was the SF/Fantasy Battle Royale panel, moderated by the very funny Matt Youngmark, in which we pitted popular scifi/fantasy characters against each other in a single elimination death match style tournament.”
- Flamebyrd: NorWesCon 2016: “William K. Hartmann (science guest of honour) gave a panel on the history of his theory of the origin of the moon and its various challenges (among other things) which was deeply fascinating. Science is this big, constantly changing thing and I love it.”
- Font Folly: It’s a nerd, nerd, nerd, nerd world! and Stark raving nerd: “I went to a lot of good panels, and really enjoyed all of them. […] This year there were many hours where I had to choose between several panels that looked really interesting. I know the concom has been making efforts the last few years to shake thing up in programming, bring in some new blood, and so on. So that seems to have paid off.”
- Geek Girls Rule: Geek Girls Rule! #321 – Norwescon 2016: “I’m really bummed to have missed out on Friday, but I was not remotely functional at that point. But all in all, it was a great convention! I met some awesome people, saw some of my fans, made more fans, and ran into someone I had not seen since she was like 12, who is an awesome person. It was very strange. But awesome.”
- Jamie O Mayer: Norwescon 39 Recap: “Norwescon really is a fun con. I think of it as Worldcon Lite. Lots of programming dedicated to the many aspects of SFF fandom, writing, cosplay, etc. An eclectic mix in the Dealer’s Hall, and a nice-sized art show. It was great to be able to meet up with friends that I rarely see otherwise, and to meet some in person that I’d previously only conversed with via social media.”
- Raven Oak: Norwescon Wrap-Up: “…this tired is absolutely worth it as I had one of the best cons of my career so far, largely due to the wonderful people I met. Being a panelist isn’t anything new to me, but before this past weekend, I’d never been a panelist at Norwescon. Not only were the majority of my panels interesting and funny, my co-panelists were great. Some of them I already knew, and others were names I’d heard but never had the pleasure to meet until now.”
- K.M. Alexander: A Norwescon 39 Debriefing: “I mentioned this last year, but it’s worth mentioning again. It’s remarkable to see the diversity, openness, and acceptance between Norwesconners. The world outside of a convention can be mean. It’s nice to see a place where everyone is super considerate and goes out of their way to be encouraging and welcoming. Norwescon is unique like that.”
- Fangs and Lasers: Norwescon!: “Gregg wore his armor again, with a couple of extra pieces that he did, and new findings to make everything a bit more polished. He, of course, won again. In fact he won BEST OF SHOW for workmanship. That means the judges thought his costume was put together better than ANYONE at the masquerade. It was amazing. He basically leveled up and was told that now he has to compete as a master because he’s just that good.”
- Lillian Csernica: North By Norwescon, Norwescon Day Two, More Norwescon, and Norwescon: Fun Fun Fun!: “You people really know how to throw one hell of a convention. I can’t wait to be there in 2017 for the 40th anniversary!”
- Marta Murvosh: Wow, Norwescon was a whirlwind.: “I had 10 panels, Guest of Honor interviews, and writers workshops crammed into 2 days. Whew. That was six events on Saturday.”
- Nostalgiaverse Podcast and News: Easter weekend I went to Norwescon: “I loved it, had a great time, reconnected with old friends, made new ones, and generally had a ball!”
- Shannon Page: I am home safe from Norwescon: “TL;DR: Highly Recommended; Would Norwescon Again. (Maybe even with programming next time!)”
- Liv Rainey-Smith: Back home from Norwescon: “Small children are actually often more respectful than adults about not grabbing artist tools. One of the girls complemented my goat depiction, told me about their herd of goats, and then asked, ‘Are those hares? They look more like hares than rabbits.’ No idea what she wants to be when she grows up, but her observational skills can surely take her far in life. I’m seriously impressed she picked up on that detail.”
- Bull Spec: The Exploding Spaceship Visits Norwescon 39 in SeaTac, Washington!: “Overall this is a very good convention for writers to meet fans and sell books, for writers wanting to learn about the craft or the business of writing, and also for general fans. It definitely felt more welcoming to everyone than some southeastern US conventions have been in the past, so it might be one to try if you want to try a more welcoming convention experience.”
- Three Unwise Men: Season 2 Begins: Recorded Live at Norwescon: “For all of you from Norwescon that missed out, well…have a listen. You missed a hell of a night. We learn how high both crows and the Cheeseburger Guy can count. And Frog gets a little weird about the salt samples in the bathroom.”
- Grit City Podcast: GCP 91: The GCP Room with Cajun and The Reverend En Fuegon – Norwescon 39: “This week’s episode is a special pod cast recorded at Norwescon 39 where the guys are joined by Cajun from Dethcon, and The Reverend En Fuego to celebrate GCP’s second visit to Norwescon.”
- Berlynn Wohl: March 30th, 2016 at 12:46PM: “Last weekend, me and my squad ran the Build-A-Jaeger Workshop at Norwescon. Everyone had an awesome time dealing with the unfortunate PPDC budget cuts, and we are definitely gonna try to do this one again next year!”
- Bones of Starlight: NORWESCON 39, 2016
- Clockwork Dragon: @Norwescon Wrap-up: “We had a great time at Norwescon and are looking forward to 2017 already.”
- Brenna Clarke Gray: COMICS FETISH: VOLUME 73 (NORWESCON EDITION!): “Welcome to Comics Fetish, your weekly round-up of cool comics-related stuff to buy and wear and gift and share. This week, I’m sharing some of the awesome stuff I saw last weekend at Norwescon!”
- Betty Adams: Pictures! NorwesCon39 Day 2 and Frozen Daleks and Car Crashes: “Well NorwesCon 39 has come and gone for 2016 and boy did it generate some memories. (On a side note hiding in the corner and talking cats with cat people counts as networking as long as you give them a card afterwards.)”
- Douglas Herring: Norwescon 39
- Jack Krolak: Norwescon 39
- Screenwriter John Lovett: NORWESCON 2016
- Journeys in Color: Norwescon Masquerade Photo Area
- Tammy: Norwescon39_2016
- Mandy D. Creative: Norwescon 39 w/ Grit City Podcast
- The public Norwescon 39 group on Flickr.
- Instagram searches for #nwc39 and #norwescon.
- And our official Flickr photo account (still being updated as our photographers work through all their photos).
- Dexter Sinister: Artemis at Norwescon 1, Artemis at Norwescon 2, Artemis at Norwescon 3, Artemis at Norwescon 4, and Artemis at Norwescon 5.
- Dave Thaler: Artemis at Norwescon 39
- Dizzymakeupgirl: Norwescon haul and March Faves
- Peter Horvath: Norwescon 39 Masquerade (Willy Wonka)
- Una Drake: Marcie at Norwescon (Seattle UFO Network Interview)
- Norwescon: Philip K. Dick Award Ceremony 2016